My cream of broccoli soup is a low-calorie, keto, and gluten-free version. It’s creamy and full of broccoli and nutty flavor. Plus, it’s super healthy and nutrient-dense because it’s packed with veggies. You don’t have to worry about eating too much and gaining weight because of too much butter, cream, and flour. It’s the best cozy food to warm your body.
Cream of broccoli soup recipe:
Why my version is low-calorie, keto, and gluten-free? Because I use potatoes instead of thickening the soup traditionally with lots of butter and flour. My method is to use potatoes to thicken and cream the soup. It contains fewer calories than butter and flour, but lots of nutrients. Because it contains starch, it can thicken the soup. As long as a low-calorie and healthy way to thicken a soup are potatoes.
Tips to make this soup even better:
These three tips are key to making this soup even more delicious and tasty. If you’ve never made it this way before, you really need to try it. You’ll notice the difference.
- The potatoes – should be fried in oil to make the surface golden brown. They don’t need to be fried all the way through. So the potatoes develop a rich, nutty flavor that makes the soup even richer and creamier.
- The broccoli – should also be fried in oil at high heat to brown the surface, which gives a sweet aroma and a more intense broccoli flavor. You can also use the oven to brown the surface. The broccoli doesn’t need to be cooked all the way through, just brown it.
- The onion – should also be fried until it’s translucent. This is the key to making the soup naturally sweet and releasing its aroma.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – or another cheese of choice – makes the soup creamier, cheesier and butterier.
What you need:
- Butter or olive oil – If you want a more buttery flavor, you can use butter. If you’re vegetarian, you can use olive oil. To control your weight, you should use olive oil because it’s fewer calories and is healthier.
- Onion – To add more flavor to the soup.
- Vegetable or chicken bone broth – Vegetable or chicken broth is suitable. Chicken bone broth is the cheaper option
- Broccoli – Fry it in a pan or bake it over medium heat to release its flavor and natural sweetness.
- Potatoes – the main ingredients that make the soup creamy, replace too much butter and flour.
- Shredded cheese – cheddar or another cheese of your choice
- Cream or milk – for health reasons, milk is better for daily or weekly soup.
How to make:
Heat the pot over medium heat, add the butter and the potato cubes, and don’t turn them immediately. We want a golden brown surface and caramel, stir after 2 minutes transfer to a plate and set aside.
In the same pot, add olive oil and diced onion. Stir until translucent. Add the broccoli florets and don’t stir for 1 minute. We want a more intense broccoli flavor, stir for 1 to 2 minutes. Add potatoes, chicken bone broth, and milk, and cover the pot. Let cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Add salt and black pepper to adjust the flavor. Use a hand blender to quickly puree the soup. Add the cheddar cheese, and parsley. Prepare warm bread rolls or baguettes to eat with.
What to serve with:
This soup goes well with Baked Zucchini and cucumber salad as an appetizer. Bread rolls, as a side dish. Salmon alfredo or Beef Stroganoff as the main course and apple tartlet as dessert.
Watch how to make:
Cream Of Broccoli Soup.
- 700 g 1.4 lb large broccoli, 2 large broccoli
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced into 1.5cm / 2/3" cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken bone broth or vegetable broth, 1 liter
- 1 cup milk or cream 236ml (Note 1)
- 150 g cheddar cheese, shredded (or other cheese of choice)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Wash, peel and cut the potatoes into 1.5 cm, 2/3"cubes, set aside.
- Wash the broccoli and cut it into florets, set aside. Dice the onion and set aside.
- Heat the pot on medium heat, add the olive oil and the potato cubes. Don't turn them immediately, but after 2 minutes. (Note 2)
- Stir for 1~2 minutes, and place them on a plate set aside.
- In the same pan, add the oil and the diced onion. Stir fry until translucent. (Note 3)
- Add the broccoli florets to the center of the pot, stirring them after 1 to 2 minutes to brown the surface. (Note 4)
BOILED THE SOUP.
- Add potatoes, broccoli, chicken bone broth and milk to the pot. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add salt and ground black pepper to adjust the flavor. Use a hand blender to quickly puree the soup.
- Prepare warm bread rolls or baguettes to eat with. Add cheddar cheese, cream and parsley.
- Ready to serve.
Tips & Notes:
- If you use cream, 3/4 cup (165ml) is enough.
- Don’t turn the potatoes immediately so they can caramelize and turn a golden brown color. You don’t have to cook the potatoes completely. This way you’ll get a rich, buttery, and nutty flavor.
- In this way, the onion develops its natural sweetness and releases its aroma.
- This way the broccoli will have a sweet aroma and a more intense broccoli flavor. You can also use the oven to brown the surface. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F (200°C convection) and roast them for 10 minutes.
Leave a Reply