Easy vegan lentil soup is super healthy and nutrient dense. It’s filled with all the veggies you need for the day. It’s full of veggies and spices, tastes slightly sweet and a little sour, and is perfect for the whole family. My favorite way to dip the soup is with a bread roll or baguette, which is very satisfying.
Vegan lentil soup recipe:
This recipe is a one-pot stew that’s quick and easy. You can use vegetable broth or chicken bone broth to make the soup even tastier.
Tips for this recipe: to make this soup savory and tastier, you should sauté garlic, carrots, onions, and zucchini in oil to enhance their flavor and natural sweetness. Remember, though, to stir-fry the onion until it’s translucent. This is another important point to make the soup naturally sweeter and tastier.
Benefits of lentils:
Lentils are rich in protein, high in fiber, and low in fat and calories. It’s the best source of protein for a vegetarian and for weight loss. It can lower cholesterol and protect against diabetes and colon cancer. Wow~ It should be included in one of the weekly meals.
What you need:
- Lentils – you can use all colors of lentils, green, red, and brown.
- Vegetables – garlic, onion, carrots, zucchini, celery. You can add any vegetables you like to make the soup richer.
- Canned chopped tomatoes – it’s best to use canned tomatoes, they have a stronger flavor than fresh tomatoes. If you use fresh tomatoes, you should sauté them with oil. In this way, their natural sweetness comes out better.
- Spices – the most important thing is that the soup is full of spices.
- Lemon – is another important factor that gives freshness to this soup.
How to make:
The secret of how this soup becomes tasty and delicious is that in the first step the garlic is sautéed in oil over low heat. After it develops its aroma, carrots and onions are added. These root tendons must be sauteed in oil to enhance their natural sweetness. This, of course, makes the soup sweeter and tastier. When the onions are sautéed until translucent, add the zucchini and sauté. Add the spices to sauté, then tomatoes, lentils, celery, and vegetable or chicken bone broth.
What to serve with:
This soup goes well with bruschetta bread with tomato confit as an appetizer. Bread rolls, baked cauliflower, Ratatouille, and smashed fingerling potatoes as a side dish. Vegan pasta with white sauce as the main course and apple tartlet as dessert.
Other flavors of lentil soups:
“Sausage Lentil Soup” – It’s best to take German smoked sausage, slice it, and fry it in a pan with oil before frying the garlic. This way the oil is full of smoked sausage flavor. Use this oil to cook the vegetables and the soup. This way the soup gets its full flavor. Don’t add the sausage until the last 5 minutes. Don’t let the sausage cook too long or its flavor will flow into the soup. You won’t be able to taste the flavor.
“Curry Lentil Soup” – Add the curry powder after you sauté the zucchini in step number 3. They need to be fried to enhance the strong flavor. This way the curry will be rich and spicy. The other steps follow this recipe.
Other cozy soups to try:
★ Egg Drop Soup – 10 minutes
Watch how to make :
Vegan Lentil Soup
- 250 g dried lentils, or canned lentils
- 1.5 L vegetable broth, or chicken bone broth
- 1 onion, chopped (white, brown, yellow)
- 2 gloves garlic, chopped
- 1~2 carrots, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 zucchini, diced (about 1"x1") (Note 1)
- 3 stalks celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (14 oz) canned crushed tomato
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp sugar, (Note2)
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper, each
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat the pot over medium heat. Pour in the oil and the chopped garlic and stir for 1 minute until you smell its aroma.
- Add the chopped onion and carrots and stir until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the zucchini and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes (Note 3)
COOK THE SOUP:
- Add the spices, dried bay leaves, cumin, thyme and paprika and stir for 1 minute. (Note 4)
- Add the lentils, canned tomatoes, chopped celery ribs, sugar and vegetable broth.
- Cover the pot and cook for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add salt and pepper to adjust the flavor.
- Use a hand blender to quickly puree the soup 2 or 3 times (Note 5)
- Prepare warm bread rolls or baguettes to eat with.
- Squeeze the lemon juice and sprinkle some chopped fresh parsley on top for garnish.
Tips & Notes:
- Don’t cut the zucchini too small or the water will evaporate and they’ll shrink after frying. This way you can taste their texture and natural sweetness.
- If you add canned tomatoes or tomatoes, add a little sugar to remove the sour and astringent taste. This is how Chinese restaurants do it.
- Onions, carrots and zucchini are sautéed with oil. In this way they develop their flavor and natural sweetness. The tips to make the soup even tastier.
- If you stir-fry these spices, their strong flavor will be even better.
- I like to use a stick blender to quickly puree the soup 2 or 3 times to give it a thicker consistency. But that’s not compositional.