Keto vegetable beef soup is a very healthy and easy to prepare dish. The secret to this delicious soup is to sauté the onions first so that the onions can release the sweet flavor, making the soup naturally sweet when cooked. You don’t need chicken broth at all. This natural and magical way is very suitable for any soup.
Vegetable beef soup recipe:
This Chinese vegetable beef soup is often cooked at home in China or Taiwan. The most common vegetables in the soup are white radish and carrots. If you add noodles to the soup, it becomes braised beef noodle soup. If you want to eat Taiwanese beef noodle soup, please check my other blog.
I want to share with you this recipe that’s prepared on the stove. It’s very simple because all you’ve to do is simmer all the ingredients in a pot on the stove without adding any chicken or vegetable stock. Soon you’ll have a naturally sweet soup made with vegetables and beef. It’s a simple soup for beginners.
- Beef – I used beef chuck, but you can use any other braised beef or boneless beef, such as tenderloin.
- Onion – Cut the onions in half. Since they’re mainly used for braising here and not for eating, you don’t have to cut them into thin pieces.
- Carrot and white radish – Cut them irregularly to make their taste sweeter.
- Scallion – They can be cut in half. They’re also used for stewing and compete for the sweetness of the soup.
- Star anise, ginger, cinnamon and bay leaf – they’re used to enhance the flavor. Star anise is a spice commonly used in Chinese cooking, especially in stews. You can’t use it if you can’t buy it.
How to make
- Cook the beef – First put the beef and cold water in the same pot. The water can cover the beef.
- After boiling, take the beef out and let it cool before cutting it into pieces about 1" in size.
- Prepare vegetables -Cut the onion and scallion in half. Cut carrot and daikon radish irregularly. Set aside.
- Prepare Star anise, ginger, cinnamon and bay leaf. Set aside.
- First heat the pot on the stove, then put the onion in the pot and fry them on the bottom for about 2 ~ 3 minutes until they turn brown, then turn them and fry for 1~2 minutes.
- Add ginger, cinnamon, bay leaf, star anise and beef, then add carrot, white radish and green onion, and then pour water into the pot.
- cover the pot and let the soup simmer on low heat after 40 minutes take out the daikon radish.
- Then cook it on low heat for 1 hour or until it's soft.
Other comfort food:
Easy Vegetable Beef Soup
- 500 g /1.1lb beef chuck or stewing or braising beef
- half daikon radish ,cut them irregularly into about 1.5" pieces
- 1 carrot ,cut them irregularly into about 1.5" pieces
- 3 scallions
- 1200 ml water
- 2 g cinnamon
- 3 bay leaf
- 2 star anise
- 5 sliced ginger
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
COOK THE BEEF:
- Prepare a pot of cold water and beef. As long as the water covers the beef, put it on the stove and turn off the fire after it's boiled. In this way, the blood water of the beef can be removed and the soup will be clear.
- After the beef has cooled, cut it into 1" pieces and set aside. At the same time, you can prepare the vegetables.
- Cut the onion and scallion in half. Cut carrot and daikon radish irregularly so that they taste sweeter after cooking.
BRAISED VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP:
- First heat the pot on the stove, then put the onion in the pot and fry them on the bottom for about 2 ~ 3 minutes until they turn brown, then turn them and fry for 1~2 minutes. In this way, the soup will become sweeter and get a nice amber color.
- Add ginger, cinnamon, bay leaf, star anise and beef, then add carrot, white radish and green onion, and then pour water into the pot. (Note 1)
- Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil. Season with fish sauce and salt. Then cover the pot and let the soup simmer on low heat for 40 minutes.
- Take out the daikon radish first and then cook it on low heat for 1 hour or until it's soft. (Note 2 & 3)
- Ready to serve.
Tips & Notes:
- Give the ingredients in this order: after the onion is cooked, add the spices and the beef, and last the carrot and the white radish. So that the water covers the beef and the spices so that the beef becomes soft and the spices can fully develop their aroma.
- Daikon radish doesn’t need to be cooked for too long. It tastes great after just 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cook the soup slowly over low heat so that it becomes a clear soup. Use medium or high heat to cook the soup. The soup may become slightly cloudy and not clear.