Sweet potato is a superfood and is full of healthy benefits – best for breakfast. This quick and easy sweet potato breakfast casserole is full of cheese and egg flavor and the sweetness of the sweet potato. You’ll only need 15 minutes to bake. If you bake an extra portion at once, you can eat it for several days and save time the next morning.
Sweet potato breakfast recipe:
My sweet potato breakfast casserole recipe is super easy and simple. It’s best for anyone who’s busy in the morning. You can even make it the night before and reheat it the next morning. This way, your breakfast will be full of protein, vitamins, and carbohydrates. By the way, it’s vegan, keto, Whole30, and Paleo.
What you need:
- Sweet potatoes – you can use yellow, orange, or purple colors. After cutting into pieces, rinse with water and drain to reduce starch absorption. This way you can reduce calories.
- Eggs and milk – All fresh eggs and milk. Oat milk, almond milk, and soy milk are good substitutes for milk allergies.
- Shredded cheese – Any shredded cheese you like. This will provide more flavor.
How to make:
For my recipe, I prefer to roast the sweet potatoes in a pan with olive oil to caramelize them and give them a golden brown surface. This way, the sweetness and flavor of the sweet potatoes come out better and they get a nutty and buttery flavor. You don’t have to cook them through. They just need to caramelize and get a golden-brown surface.
If you don’t have time, you can just mix the sweet potato cubes with beaten eggs, shredded cheese, and milk. And bake them at 180°C/356°F for 10-12 minutes. But trust me, they taste totally different without roasting. You can try both variants.
What is the benefit of sweet potato?
Sweet potatoes contain many beneficial properties for your body. The best time to eat them is in the morning or at lunch. Because it contains many carbohydrates and sugars. Even though it’s fewer calories than rice and noodles.
- The calories of sweet potatoes – are about to 86 calories per 100 grams, which is one-third less than that of white rice with the same weight.
- Sweet potatoes are rich in fiber – fiber can promote gastrointestinal motility, cleanse bowel movements, and aid detoxification.
- Help weight loss – They’re rich in fiber and can increase the feeling of satiety. They’re very good substitutes for white rice and noodles with low nutritional value, as a staple food to support weight loss. It’s best to eat them in the morning or at noon.
- Good for heart and circulation, stable mood – The magnesium in sweet potatoes can help relieve stress and promote emotional stability.
- Eye protection – Sweet potatoes are rich in β-carotene, which can help maintain vision. Is a good antioxidant nutrient that promotes vision.
What to eat with:
Watch how to make:
Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
- 3 medium size sweet potatoes, (1.2kg~/2.65lb) cut to 1.5" x 1.5" cubes
- 3 eggs, whisk
- 50 ml milk, Note 1
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, Note 2
- Prepare sweet potatoes – Wash, peel and cut sweet potatoes into 1.5" x 1.5" cubes, rinse off the water and drain. (Note 3)
- Sauté sweet potatoes – Heat the pan over medium heat with pure olive oil and add the sweet potato cubes. Fry them until they're golden brown on both sides. Transfer them to the baking pan. (Note 4)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Whisk the eggs with the milk in a bowl and pour them into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
- Bake it for 10 minutes at 180°C/356°F.
- Ready to serve: Cut into squares before serving.
- Serve later: Cool on a wire rack and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
Tips & Notes:
- For the vegetarian version, you can use oat, almond, or soy milk.
- You can use any type of cheese you prefer or even mixed cheese.
- When you rinse off the water, less starch is absorbed. This way you can reduce calories.
- This way, the sweetness and flavor of the sweet potatoes will come out better and they’ll have a nutty and buttery flavor. You don’t have to cook them through. They just need to caramelize and get a golden brown surface.