Chinese shrimp with lobster sauce is served in white sauce with mild garlic flavor. The taste is naturally sweet (from shrimp, corn and peas), salty and savory. It’s usually served over white rice or egg fried rice. If you want to eat it, sprinkle some white pepper and sesame oil to make it even more delicious. That way make you’ll eat one more bowl of rice.
Shrimp with lobster sauce recipe
This dish is so simple and easy to prepare, it’ll only take you less than 15 minutes. It’s keto and low carb. It’s healthy and contains lots of protein, vitamins, minerals and essential amino acids. The TIP for this dish is to dry the shrimp with a paper towel before frying. This will keep the shrimp juicy and firm to the bite, and they’ll absorb the sauce better.
- Shrimp – medium or large is fine. Don’t forget to peel and gut them. You’ll learn how to do that in the instructions below.
- Frozen vegetables – it contains peas, corn, and carrots. Thaw them first, then not so much water will form during frying. This allows them to sauté and ripen faster.
- Egg – It’s best to add the eggs to the pot after you’ve poured in the cornstarch to create an egg ribbon.
- Scallion – Chopped scallions are added last to enhance the flavor.
- Garlic – Fry chopped garlic in oil to enhance the flavor. This is usually a Chinese dish.
Why is it called shrimp with lobster sauce?
Originally, this sauce was used to cook lobster, but since lobster is more expensive, Chinese restaurants have switched to using shrimp instead. “Lobster sauce” was invented in North America by Chinese restaurateurs. It originated from Cantonese cuisine.
How to make
- Heat the pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and stir-fry the minced garlic for 30 seconds. Fry it until its aroma comes out.
- Add the shrimp and stir-fry them until they become opaque, about 1~2 minutes. Take them to a plate. Don't overcook them because we'll put them back in the pan to fry with the sauce.PRO TIP: The shrimp must be dried with a paper towel before frying. This step is very important so that the shrimp are juicy and firm to the bite. Otherwise, they'll come out easily and the fried shrimp will be soft and not fragrant.
- In the same pan fry peas, corn and carrots to allow them to release their own sweetness. They'll taste even more aromatic and sweet.
- Pour in water and sauce and bring to a boil.
- Add the shrimp back in and pour the beaten eggs immediately into the soup. while continuing to stir to make long egg ribbons, quickly turn off the heat. PRO TIP: Stir it gently and not too fast with a spoon (don't stir), so that beautiful egg ribbons are formed.
- Seasoning white pepper powder and sesame oil, Then serve over egg fried rice.
TIPS peel and devein shrimp
- When peeling your raw shrimp, peel off the shell and tear it from the first segment of the shell.
- Make a shallow cut along the backbone of the shrimp or the back of the shrimp. Take the back strip of the gut and remove it with a knife or fork.
- Remove the tails by simply squeezing the shrimp and pulling off the tail.
Dishes to serve with this recipe
Chinese Shrimp With Lobster Sauce
- 1 lb /500g large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 gloves garlic ,minced
- 1 cup store-bought frozen vegetables ,peas, corns, and carrots
- 1 egg ,beaten
- 1 scallion ,chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or oyster sauce (Note 1)
- 180 ml chicken bone broth or water (Note 2)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon rice wine, Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (Note 3)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt to taste
- Wash the shrimp first and then dry them with a paper towel. (Note 4)
- Frozen vegetables – It's best to thaw them the day before in the refrigerator or the day you're going to cook. That way, when you fry them, they don't form as much water. That way they can sear and ripen faster.
- Fry the aromatics – Heat the pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the oil and minced garlic and fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp to the pan and stir-fry until the surface becomes opaque about 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan and place them on a plate. (Note 5)
- Fry peas, corn and carrots in the same pan for about 1 minute. (Note 6)
- Pour in water and sauce and bring to a boil. (Note 7)
- Add the shrimp back in and immediately pour the beaten eggs into the soup. Stir the soup gently and not too quickly with a spoon (don't stir) so that nice egg ribbons form. Turn off the heat after 2 minutes. (Note 8)
- Season it with salt (to taste), white pepper and sesame oil. Sprinkle chopped scallions on top. Serve over white rice or egg fried rice.
Tips & Notes:
- If you don’t have fish sauce, you can use oyster sauce. Both have the flavor of seafood. As long as you’re cooking seafood, these two types of sauces work very well. But if you add oyster sauce, you’ve to add a little salt for seasoning. If you add fish sauce, you don’t need it because it’s salty enough.
- You can use chicken bone broth, chicken stock, or water. Here you’ll learn how to prepare chicken bone broth (more economical than chicken broth).
- It’s best to use white pepper. It smells good and has a slightly spicy taste. You can buy it in Chinese supermarkets or on Amazon. If you don’t have any, you can use black pepper instead.
- This simple step will ensure that the shrimp are juicy and firm to the bite and not too soft. It also allows the shrimp to absorb the sauce well and have a good flavor.
- Shrimp doesn’t need to be cooked for a long time. It can be cooked quickly. If it’s cooked too long, it won’t be juicy.
- Frying these root vegetables in oil allows them to release their own sweetness. They’ll taste even more aromatic and sweet.
- If the sauce is too thick, immediately add about 10 ~ 20 ml of water until you reach the desired consistency. If it’s not thick enough, stir it into cornstarch with water and then pour it into the pot.
- Remember to stir the beaten egg gently and not too quickly with a spoon (don’t stir) to make beautiful egg ribbons. If you want to present egg ribbons, you must pour the beaten egg after you’ve poured in the cornstarch.