Homemade queso dip can be as silky smooth as canned, even when cold. You don’t need to heat it or keep it warm to stay silky smooth. The secret is to use evaporated milk. Even if you keep it in the refrigerator, you don’t have to reheat it, you can eat it at room temperature and it’ll still be silky smooth.
Queso dip recipe
You don’t need too many ingredients to make this easy homemade dip with real cheese.
The main secret to making it smooth is evaporated milk and cornstarch. It’s best to use full-fat evaporated milk.
Homemade queso dip is made with fresh cheese, unlike canned cheese, which isn’t real cheese. It’s much healthier than the canned kind.
The taste is creamy with cheese flavor and slightly spicy with spices like garlic, onion, cumin, and jalapeno (Mexican green chili). This way you get different layers of flavor. With the addition of fresh tomatoes and cilantro, the taste is vibrant and delicious.
It goes best with tortilla chips, burritos, tacos, potato wedges, hot dogs, or burgers.
What you need:
- Cheddar cheese – it’s best to use fresh cheddar cheese to shred it by yourself. If you use store-bought shredded cheese, they have other additives.
- Evaporated milk – the secret to making the queso dip smooth even when cold.
- Cornstarch – another secret to make the dip smooth and creamy.
- Olive oil – to sauté with garlic and onions.
- Fresh garlic, onions, chopped jalapenos (green chilies), garlic powder, cumin, and fresh tomatoes, cilantro, or coriander to add different flavors.
What to serve with queso dip:
- Pulled Pork Nachos
- Tortillas chips
- Fish taco, Ground beef taco
- Pulled Pork burger
- Chicken Burritos, Beef Burritos
- Raw vegetables – such as cauliflower, celery, and carrots.
- Hot Dog
- Potato wedges, French fries
How to store:
You can put the leftovers in a jar and keep them in the refrigerator for 5 days. You don’t need to heat them up, you can eat them at room temperature. They’ll still silk smoothy.
Watch how to make:
Queso Dip (Mexican Cheese Dip)
- 2.5 cup 225 g Cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 375 g /13 oz evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon milk, (Note 1)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, cumin
- 50 g canned chop Jalapeno, or green chili
- 1/2 tomato, finely diced
- coriander or cilantro finely chopped
- Heat the pot over medium heat, add butter, garlic and onion.
- Turn the heat to low and stir-fry the onion until it's translucent.
- Add garlic powder and cumin powder to stir fry. (Note 2)
- Prepare a container, pour evaporated milk and cornstarch into it, use a spoon and mix well before pouring it into the pot. (Note 3)
- Add to the pot and stirring constantly, add the cheddar cheese, chopped tomato, cilantro and chopped jalapenos and mix well until everything is cooked.
- Add salt to adjust the flavor. Remove from heat.
- Ready to serve.
Tips & Notes:
Unlike other homemade cheese sauces, you’ll need to reheat it or eat it while it’s warm, not cold.
Leave a Reply