This one-pot pumpkin sausage risotto with curry is full of the sweetness of pumpkin, the smoky flavor of smoked sausage, and the spicy aroma of curry. The different layers of texture and flavor will entice you to chew slowly and take a fantastic flavor journey. And make you want to eat an extra portion.
Pumpkin sausage risotto recipe:
With this risotto, you don’t have to sauté the rice, you just put all the ingredients in the pot and steam them. This super simple and quick one-pot risotto can be on the table in 20 minutes. Since I use a cast iron pot, you can also eat the crispy rice pieces at the bottom of the pot. The risotto is full of rich flavor and sweetness from all the ingredients. And with the vegetables and mushrooms, it’s a very healthy dish. If you don’t have time to cook too many dishes at once, this pot is nutritionally balanced.
- Risotto rice – any brand of risotto rice you prefer will do. If you don’t have risotto rice, you can use any other type of rice you like.
- Pumpkin – any variety of pumpkin you like, or sweet potato as a substitute.
- Beech mushrooms – or any other mushrooms, but not shiitake mushrooms. Their flavor will be too strong and overpower the flavor of the other ingredients.
- German smoked sausage – It’s best to use German smoked sausage so you get a nice smoky flavor. Any kind of smoked sausage you like.
- Onions – add a natural sweetness to the dish.
- Curry powder – adds an extra spice to the dish. Because curry goes well with squash and smoked sausage. It gives the dish an additional flavor.
- Chicken bone broth or water – chicken bone broth gives this dish more flavor and umami.
How to make:
Incredible how simple and quick it’s, but the taste is very flavorful and rich. All you’ve to do is wash the rice, put it in a pot, and add water. After adding the curry and spices, add the onion, beech mushrooms, sausage, and pumpkin one by one.
Close the lid. Make sure you don’t close the lid completely but leave a gap open so that the rice soup doesn’t overflow.
After making sure the pot is boiling, switch to low heat and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and let it simmer for another 10 minutes. Then you can serve the risotto and enjoy it. You can stir it well and eat it together or don’t stir it, you can also try these 2 ways. Surprisingly, you can also eat the crispy rice pieces at the bottom of the pot. So many textures and tastes will fascinate people from it.
How to store mushrooms?
- Open the packing bag, don’t leave it sealed. It’s best to make a small hole in the package after purchase or open it and put it in a cool place so the mushrooms are well-ventilated.
- If you can’t use all the mushrooms at once, put them on a plate or in a container that you don’t have to seal and put in the refrigerator. They can be kept for a few days.
- If the mushrooms are put directly into fresh bags or wrapped in fresh wraps, they’ll be stuffed with the moisture they contain. They’ll then spoil quickly.
What goes with pumpkin and sausage risotto:
On busy days, I use a quick cooking method to prepare dinner for my family. I will bake zucchini, pork ribs, and carrots together. This way, all I’ve to do is put everything together in the oven and make this one-pot risotto. Spicy cucumber salad or pickled mixed vegetables for a side dish. Cream of broccoli soup to warm up your body. A quick, healthy, and delicious dinner is ready.
Watch how to make it:
Pumpkin Sausage Risotto With Curry.
- 2 cups risotto rice
- 1/4 or 1/2 pumpkin, depends on the size
- 1 pack beech mushroom, or any mushrooms you prefer
- 3 pieces smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- 2 cups chicken bone broth or water, (Note 1)
- Wash the risotto rice first, drain it, and then add it to the pot.
- Peel the squash and cut it into 1" pieces, remove the bottom of the beech mushrooms and cut them into small stalks, cut the smoked sausage into 3/8" thick pieces, and dice the onion. Set aside.
- Pour 2 cups of chicken bone broth or water into the pot, add curry powder, salt and pepper and stir everything together. (Note 2)
- Add the onion, beech mushrooms, smoked sausage, and squash to the rice in order.
- Cover the pot, but leave some space in the pot don't close it completely, but turn it to medium-high heat. (Note 3）
- When the pot boils, close the pot tightly and let it boil for 1 minute, then switch to low heat and let it boil for 10 minutes, turn off the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ready to serve～and you can eat the crispy rice pieces from the bottom of the pot.
Tips & Notes:
- You can use chicken bone broth, chicken stock, or water. Here you’ll learn how to prepare chicken bone broth (more economical than chicken broth). Chicken bone broth gives this dish more flavor and umami.
- The ratio of white rice to water, is usually 1:1 = 1 cup rice: 1 cup water.
- Make sure you don’t close the lid completely but leave a gap open so that the rice soup doesn’t overflow.
Leave a Reply