This simple and delicious Japanese potato salad is ready in 10 minutes. I usually wrap it in sandwich rolls or toast for a healthy breakfast or easy lunch. Or as a side dish for dinner for my whole family. It’s the best comfort food for the whole family and my kid likes it a lot. The secret to this delicious recipe is the addition of French mustard, which adds even more flavor to this dish. You should give it a try.
Japanese potato salad recipe
In this recipe, I also add canned corn, carrots, and cucumbers. It’s a very healthy vegan dish. Some people add eggs, depending on personal preference. The secret to reducing starch is to rinse the potatoes twice with water after dicing. This washes away the excess starch, which can reduce starch absorption. This will reduce the calories of the dish. This method works for all root crops that contain starch.
The reason it’s so easy and quick to cook is that you only need to cook carrots and potatoes, but canned corn and cucumbers don’t need to be cooked, so you can enjoy it in less than 15 minutes.
- Potatoes – You can use large, medium, or baby potatoes because we need to cut them into irregular shapes first and not cook them whole. This way they can be cooked quickly.
- Carrots – It’s recommended to use half a stick, but you can use more if you like carrots. They need to be cut into small cubes, about 1/2″ x 1/2″ because they don’t soften easily. If you cut them into small pieces, they’ll be quicker and softer to cook.
- Cucumber – You can slice or dice them however you like, I prefer the texture of slices.
- Canned Corn – You can use any brand of canned corn if you like it.
- Mayonnaise – Any brand you like. Some brands are sweeter, see which flavor you prefer.
- French mustard – This is my own secret recipe. I like to add a little French mustard to enhance the flavor because, in addition to the sweet mayonnaise, you can taste the grainy and slightly sour French mustard. It’s very good for the refreshing taste of summer.
How to make
- Peel the potatoes and cut them irregularly into about 1-inch pieces. Cut the carrots into small cubes, about 1/2" x 1/2". Cut them into small pieces and they'll be quicker and softer to cook.
- Put the carrots in a pot, add water, cover the pot and let it boil for 2 minutes. Then add the potatoes, cover the pot and turn the heat to medium-low. Cook them until they're soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- You can tell if they're soft by poking the potatoes and carrots with a chopstick. When the chopstick goes through the potatoes, they're done and you can put them in a bowl.
- Mash the potatoes first with a spoon or masher.
- Let them cool and then add mayonnaise and French mustard. Mix them with the potatoes and carrot first so they can be evenly mixed.
- Then add the corn and cucumber and mix everything evenly.
Cut 3 medium potatoes (400g~450g) into irregular cubes about 1 inch in size after peeling. Put them in a container and wrap them in plastic wrap. Turn on the microwave for 7-9 minutes. If the potatoes don’t fork tender after 7-9 minutes, you can continue to microwave in 1-minute increments until the potatoes are cooked all the way through.
Carrots, after being cut into small cubes, can be cooked in the microwave along with potatoes. Since they’re small portions and small cubes, they’re cooked faster.
Other vegetarian dishes:
Spicy Cucumber Salad – only 5 minutes
Cherry Tomatoes Confit – only 5 minutes
Mu Shu Vegetable – only 15 Minutes
Vegetable Chow Mein – only 15 Minutes
Sandwich Rolls – No knead
Marinated Cucumber Salad – only 5 minutes
Cherry Tomato Pasta – 10 minutes dinner
Japanese Potato Salad
- 3 medium potatoes ,cut into 1 inch
- 1/2 carrot
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 bowl canned corn
- 4~5 tablespoons mayonnaise ,(Note 1)
- 1 teaspoon French mustard ,(Note 1)
- Peel the potato, cut off the irregular shape, the size is about 1 inch, so the cooking time doesn't have to be too long. The larger the piece, the longer the cooking time.
- Cut the carrots into small cubes, about 1/2" x 1/2", because they don't soften easily. If you cut them into small pieces, they'll be quicker and softer to cook.
- Wash the cucumbers, slice or dice them, whichever you like.
COOK CARROTS AND POTATOES:
- I choose the boiling method to cook potatoes and carrots. Put the carrots in a pot, add water, cover the pot and turn the heat to medium-low once cooked.
- After 2 minutes, add the potatoes, cover the pot, and cook until the potatoes and carrots are tender about 3~4 minutes. You can tell if they're soft by poking the potatoes and carrots with a folk or chopstick. When they're done, transfer them to a bowl.
- Mash the potatoes first with a spoon or masher. If you like the texture of the potatoes, don't mash them completely so you can eat both mashed and firm potato textures.
- Let it cool and then add mayonnaise and French mustard. Mix them with the potatoes and carrot first so they can be mixed evenly, because too many ingredients don't mix well. Then add the corn and cucumber and mix everything evenly.
- Ready to serve.
Tips & Notes:
- For mayonnaise and French mustard, you can add more as you like.
- For the microwave: put them in a container and wrap them in plastic wrap. Turn on the microwave for 7-9 minutes. If the potatoes aren’t soft, you can continue microwaving in 1-minute increments until the potatoes are cooked all the way through.