Super crispy BAKED Buffalo wings with buffalo sauce and blue cheese dip are a perfect match. For these buffalo wings, baked in less than 20 minutes, you just need a few tips to make them super crispy. So you can enjoy them in a short time without having to bake them for a long time. They’re just as crispy as they’re deep-fried, and you’ll never deep-fry them again.
Super Crispy BAKED Buffalo Wings!
Two easy ways to bake super crispy buffalo wings in less than 20 minutes!
- The quick way – is to boil the chicken wings in cold water to shorten the baking time.
- The secret weapon for super crispy buffalo wings – the chicken wings should be dried, add baking powder, and mix well before baking.
The secret recipe for buffalo sauce – In addition to super crispy baked wings, I also have a secret recipe for buffalo sauce by adding jam. The jam highlights the different layers and flavors of the buffalo sauce. This way, the sauce isn’t just salty and spicy without feeling like it’s overpowering. It’s super delicious, you should try it.
How to make Ultra Crispy Buffalo Wings in the Oven
- Place chicken wings in a pot, add cold water and bring to a boil. Rinse in cold water and drain the water.
- Dry the chicken wings with paper towels and preheat the oven to 425°F / 220°C.
- Put the chicken wings in a large container, add baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Spray the rack with oil and place the chicken wings. Place the wings on the rack with the skin side up.
- Bake them in the oven at 425°F / 220°C for 15 minutes.
- Put the chicken wings in the container and pour the buffalo sauce over them and mix well.
What you need for Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
1. THE CRISPY BAKED WINGS
- It’s best to use wingettes and drumettes, not whole chicken wings. That way they’re cooked through and through and have a crispy skin. They’re also easier to wrap in buffalo sauce.
- Use aluminum-free baking powder, not baking soda. These are two different things. Scientific tests have shown that baking powder can make wings crispier when baked.
- Salt to enhance the flavor.
2. BUFFALO SAUCE
- If you can’t find Frank’s Original Red Hot Sauce, you can use other hot sauces. For example Sriracha or Tabasco.
- The addition of jam highlights the different layers of buffalo sauce. So it’s not only salty and spicy – this is the secret recipe of the restaurant.
3. BLUE CHEESE DIP
I prefer to use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It’s fresher, healthier, and has fewer calories than sour cream.
Don’t forget to prepare some fresh celery. It goes best with blue cheese dip and spicy buffalo wings.
It’s a perfect match with…
Watch how to make:
Baked Buffalo Wings – ULTRA CRISPY!!
CRISPY BAKED WINGS:
- 2lb / 1kg chicken wings, wingettes & drumettes
- 2.5 teaspoons baking powder, (NOT baking soda) (Note 1)
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Original Red Hot Sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon jam, any fruit jam you have (Note 2)
BLUE CHEESE DIP:
- 60 g crumbled blue cheese, softened
- 100 ml Greek yogurt, (Note 3)
- 60 ml mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoon milk
CRISPY BAKED WINGS
- Boiled wings – Wash the wings, put them in the pot and add cold water to bring them to a boil. Take the wingettes out of the pot and let the drumettes boil for 1 minute more. (Note 4) Rinse in cold water and drain the water.
- Dry – Pour off the water and dry the chicken wings with paper towels. (Note 5)Preheat the oven to 425°F / 220°C.
- Toss wings – Put the chicken wings in a large container, add baking powder, and salt, and mix well.
- Line the tray with foil. Put a rack on the tray then spray the rack with oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes at a high temp –place the wings skin side up on the rack. Put the drumettes on the innermost side of the oven. (Note 6)Bake them in the oven at 425°F / 220°C for 15 minutes.
- Toss in sauce – Place the wings in the container and pour the buffalo sauce over them and mix well.
- Serve with Blue Cheese Dip (for both wings and celery sticks dunking)!
- Prepare a container, mix all ingredients together, and set aside.
BLUE CHEESE DIP
- Prepare a bowl, crush the blue cheese, and add all the ingredients. Use a blender to make the sauce creamier and silkier.
Tips & Notes:
Cook the drumettes 1 minute longer because they’re thicker than the wingettes. 5. Dry – If you want them to be crispy, you’ll need to dry them. The most important tip is to dry them before baking. 6. The skin of the wings provides oil that can crisp the wings. Therefore, the skin should be placed in the oven with the top side facing up. The drumettes are thicker and aren’t cooked as easily. Therefore, they should be placed on the innermost side of the oven.